Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dreambaby Retractable Gate

We really needed a gate at the top of the stairs so that when I turn my eyes away from my son (briefly!), he doesn't crawl off and fall down them. However, we also have a cat and two English mastiffs in the house with free rein so I didn't want to have a permanent swing gate. This was the ideal solution. We don't have it up a majority of the time but when we do, it works great. My son pushes on it, but it doesn't budge; he can't fit under it and even the dogs and cat respect the boundary. We have had it for a few months, and no problems!



PROs:
-It comes with two mounting kits so you can move the gate between two areas in the home (we use it at the bottom and top of the stairs)
-I can work it with one hand (my husband doesn't quite have the trick down yet--you've got to turn the knob, then use your hand and a foot to slide it off the hooks, then retract it)
-strong material

CONs:
-one handed operation is noisy to retract (so just use two hands if you want it to be quiet)
-we had to buy the extension kit and it didn't work great for the top of the stairs (my husband had to add a block of wood to make it fit. Also, the extension kit is only for one mounting set, so we had to buy two. Just seems cheap, since the gate comes with two mounting; the extension kit should too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment